Travel Insurance (f...

Notifications
Clear all

Travel Insurance (for travel outside PT, not for your D7) - insurance4portugal.com

12 Posts
3 Users
11 Likes
Gary Cooper
Topic starter
(@gcooper)
Eminent Member

Our Insurance broker suggested we contact Jeanett Ellis with insurance4portugal.com for travel insurance when we asked about worldwide options.

Jeanett is from Denmark and lives in the Algarve for over 20 yrs and is a joy to speak with. She quoted us 3 great options. We settled on a 10M worldwide 1 yr renewable policy for unlimited trips of up to 60days each from IBEX. It also covers trip interruption, repatriation to PT, baggage loss, etc. Total annual cost for us was just a little more than a month's insurance premium with MGEN. For a bit more you can add extreme sports packages and cruise packages.   Well worth it to have peace of mind when we travel outside PT.  Have not had to actually use them yet so I cannot attest to how quickly/easily they repay claims.

Email: jeanett.ellis@insurance4portugal.com
Mobile: +351 918 533 682 
Tel: - +351 282 969288

https://insurance4portugal.com/

11 Replies
jeff
 jeff
Admin
(@jeff)

Awesome Gary...  I know that winsurance is also doing travel insurance either as a yearly 'subscription' or per trip.

https://www.winsurance.pt/en/home/

Trevor
(@jonestravelers)

Serenity sent me an email about Travel policy options available until the end of July. MGEN does cover us abroad for 90 days I think it is. Still debating on the best options. I need to research what the cards I am using offer. We use the Millennium Prestige Visa for Europe travel and Amex for US travel. 

We didn't purchase anything for a week in the UK since we were staying with relatives and backpacking. We intend to do the same for our US trip. 

jeff
 jeff
Admin
(@jeff)

Posted by: @jonestravelers

MGEN does cover us abroad for 90 days

Is it the full coverage? or a limited coverage?  I need to find that out, need to send Nuno an email. I'm going to the U.S. in November for almost 2mos so wanna be covered.

7 Replies
Trevor
(@jonestravelers)

@jeff Good question. I just saw that in the description but never inquired. Still wondering if that holds water in the US. Let me know what you find out from Nuno. We have a meeting with Marta on Tuesday so she can show us how to submit medical bills from providers to MGEN that don't accept insurance so maybe we will learn something in that process. I have to think it comes back to usual and customary which the US is neither of those.

Gary Cooper
(@gcooper)

Eminent Member

@jeff @Trevor, It was actually Nuno who told me and Fred that MGEN is practically very limited in the US. He suggested we look at a third party travel policy if we are going to travel outside of the EU.

If I recall his basic talking points: the max annual payment is tiny compared to US healthcare costs, you would be covered based on 'out of network' and only as a % of PT costs which are 10x less that the US (even here there is a concept of "points" which is basically what the company says a particular service/procedure should cost). MGEN uses the AdvanceCare network for "in network" and that is ONLY in PT and ES (spain). In other parts of EU, you would be "out of network", but at least the costs would be traditional EU costs, compared to US.  You would still need to pay up front in the US, no matter what, unless you had a true WW policy like Cigna or kept your US plan.

An annual subscription for a WorldWide travel plan out of PT is super cheap. It not only helps you pay for emergency medical care but tons of other travel associated problems (lost baggage, trip interruption, etc). It is an expense that is well worth stacking on top of your PT private insurance.  

jeff
 jeff
Admin
(@jeff)

@gcooper Ahh..good to know. I sent an email to Nuno to ask about travel insurance for my trip in November.

jeff
 jeff
Admin
(@jeff)

Heard back from Nuno.  The company he recommends does offer very comprehensive coverage but it comes at a steep price. For me, not worth the price.

Screen Shot 2023 06 26 at 2.48.36 PM

p.s. this is annually but still rather high. over €600 for a 60 day stay...

I ended up choosing the plan recommended by Gary.  Great coverage and affordable for a year €266.

Trevor
(@jonestravelers)

@jeff OMG! That is why we left the US 😀

Trevor
(@jonestravelers)

@jeff and @gcooper Getting some quotes from her now. Thanks!

Trevor
(@jonestravelers)

@gcooper I really appreciate the info. Thank You!

Trevor
(@jonestravelers)

@gcooper @Jeff Marta from Serenity did help us this morning on submitting claims through AdvanceCare for our doctor that stopped accepting insurance. Super easy compared to UHC in the US. We will see what the net result is. We will also get a travel policy to the US quote from Serenity just to advise.